Update effective for 2021: Pentucket Youth Football and Cheer would like to confirm that Pentucket Youth Cheer is still a unified program aligned with Pentucket Youth Football. Please note what is new for 2021 is that the league cheer programs that have historically been part of the CAYFL programs are now governed under the MYCA (Massachusetts Youth Cheerleading Alliance, Inc.). The MYCA cheer program is independent of the CAYFL program, however, the cheerleaders still cheer and are aligned with their respective football programs locally. Pentucket Youth Cheerleading is a cheerleading program offering instruction in cheers, stunting, jumps, and tumbling for routines to be used during football games, outside competitions, and at the MYCA Competition/Exhibition in November.
Who can participate in the cheer program?
The PYC program is open to all girls/boys in the Pentucket District as well as those residing in Georgetown, Bradford, and Haverhill in grades 3-8. Cheerleaders are placed on teams by grade: 3rd/4th are part of the D squad, 5th/6th are part of the C squad and 7th/8th are part of the A squad.
When does the season begin and when are practices?
· The PYC season begins with a “training camp” scheduled for early/mid-August.
· After Labor Day, practices are at the coaches’ discretion and typically are scheduled 2 – 3 times/week at an indoor facility with appropriate cheer mats for safety. (Predominantly held at the PRHS gymnasium)
· Choreography dates are separate days from practice. These usually are a two-four hour block and are broken up into two or three days to learn competition routines. These dates and practices are all mandatory.
When are the games and who do the cheerleaders cheer for?
· There are approximately 8-9 scheduled weekend football games per cheerleading team.
· The cheerleading schedule is dependent on the football schedule.
· Games are subject to change at a moment’s notice and are driven by the decisions made by the CAYFL BOD. Changes can be last minute and driven by items such as weather, stadium restrictions/changes, or other external factors (i.e. E.E.E. concerns as we had throughout the 2019 season).
What do you need to know about registration?
· Registration is typically held during late March – June prior to the upcoming season
· All cheerleaders must provide a copy of their birth certificate at the time of registration.
· Registration is required before the end of the school year so that the program has ample time to form teams and order uniforms, secure coaches and practices schedules so that we are ready for the start of the season in early August.
What does my registration fee cover? What additional expenses will I incur?
· Registration fees include season-long use of uniform, one practice t-shirt/bow*, rental fees for gym space, competition fees, and other administrative costs to run the program. (*practice t-shirt and bow(s) are the cheerleaders to keep at the end of the season, there will be a cost to the cheerleader to replace those items if required during the season).
Who participates in the competition(s)?
· Competition is mandatory for grades 3rd-8th per the league rules.
Why is there a mandatory uniform day?
· Your child will be sized for her uniform.
· Vendors and coaches will be there to take orders for the required & optional items your child may need.
· Registration fees do not cover the costs of the following mandatory items:
o White "Cheer" Sneakers
o Black Briefs (aka boy shorts or Nike pros)
o Black leggings (for the cold weather games)
o White No-show socks
o Black and White Hooded Jacket (vendor order only)
o Extra Practice T-shirt*(one practice shirt is provided) – ordered through PYC directly
If your cheerleader has previously purchased items that match the current year requirement, still fit and are in good condition, these do not need to be repurchased.
Why is registration only online?
The PYFC Board has determined that the most effective way to communicate and collect information and funds on a program of this size is to utilize the technology available on the Internet. We realize that this may cause inconvenience to some - if you are unable to gain access to the Internet to register your child, please contact the Cheer Director for assistance. Please recognize that this is a program comprised solely of volunteers and every effort needs to be made to streamline administration, yet communicate effectively.
Why do we need to practice in the summer?
Cheerleading is like any other sport. Practices typically begin 2-3 weeks prior to the first game so we can evaluate cheerleaders, form stunt groups, learn new cheers and half-time routines. We want our cheerleaders to be prepared and ready! Football games start the 1st weekend after Labor Day. The summer days are necessary to give us enough time to familiarize the cheerleaders with the program and to conduct any evaluations. We are using a mid-week, early evening summer schedule to allow for daytime family activities and long weekends. Please be advised these practices are all mandatory.
What is the commitment to the program in terms of time and travel?
We will be holding "Mandatory" practices in mid/late August as previously mentioned. During the season, squads generally have two hour practices 2-3 times per week. Additionally, attendance at a weekend football game for cheering is mandatory. Games are on Saturday or Sunday. Travel: We participate in the Cape Ann League and have games both home and away scheduled with Danvers, Lynnfield, Newburyport, Masco, Amesbury, Marblehead, Hamilton-Wenham, North Reading, Winthrop, Gloucester, Manchester-Essex, and North Andover. Our "home field" is Pentucket High School. (Please note that for 2021 due to the PRHS/MS construction project, the PRHS field will be unavailable for use by PYFC, currently, there are no confirmed home game locations at this time, there is a likelihood that all games for the 2021 season may be played “away” at the opponent's designated field)
Per CAYFL (Cape Ann Youth Football League) all games are mandatory for cheer teams, rain or shine. All Cheerleaders will be required to attend games unless the football game is canceled or their team is excused by the Director of Pentucket Youth Cheerleading. *Always check the website, Facebook & emails/texts from coaches prior to heading to games to confirm the status of the game.
All items listed in the FAQ are subject to change.
This Q & A is designed to provide answers to the most common questions. If this does not answer your question, please send an email to